Conjure up visions of Paris, and you’ll feel wistful for romance, art, sophisticated cafes, and world-famous architecture. But when travellers arrive at Charles de Gaulle International Airport (CDG), many tell us they experience anything but: CDG is notorious for its confusing layout and unfriendly chaos.
The good news is that ParisAéroport just introduced a brand new experiential lounge called instant Paris.
Located in Hall L of Terminal 2E, instant Paris is a sophisticated transit zone that’s FREE for any traveler with (at least) a three-hour layover. The décor is a modern twist on a traditional Haussmann apartment – think high ceilings, bright windows, plenty of couches, faux fireplaces, and built-in bookcases.
So what can you do at instant Paris? A lot of pretty cool stuff, actually:
- The entrance features virtual reality kiosks, so you feel like you’re actually exploring Paris, instead of waiting for your next flight. Tour the Place de la Bastille and other iconic Paris locales.
- The Live Arena is a spacious relaxation lounge. The huge TV wall display intersperses replays of famous sporting events and Fashion Week clips with short films about the Paris of yesteryear and today.
- Styled like a local café, the library offers a quieter, less digital feel, with hundreds of books to browse.
- The dining room is equipped with tablets so you can catch up on international news.
- Kids will enjoy most of the digital activities, and they can really let off some steam by building and knocking down the model Eiffel Tower – made of 12,000 building blocks!
If you’re feeling hungry or want a real bed, instant Paris has you covered on both counts.
A new restaurant called Naked is a partnership with the international brand of the same name. Naked offers organic and fair-trade meals in a calm setting, which should please even the most discerning palettes.
YotelAir places one of their ultramodern, sleek hotels smack in the middle of instant Paris. Rent a room for a few hours or an entire night. The 80 rooms are outfitted with customizable mattresses, adjustable lighting system, super-fast WiFi, flat-screen TVs, automated check-in kiosks, 24/7 customer service, and access to the hotel’s Club Lounge with workstations and relaxing lounges. As of November 2016, rooms start at 59 euro for 4 hours or 99 euro for overnight stays. Each room has a private shower, but you also have the option of taking a shower without booking a room. The cost is 15 euro for up to an hour.
We love that ParisAéroport is improving the quality of layovers at CDG. What do you think? If you get a chance to visit instant Paris, tell us about your experience in the comments section below or write a review!
Photos courtesy of Groupe ADP